If our eyes are the window to our souls, the windows are the eyes of the house. How we treat our windows determines what others see from the outside and how we see on the inside. Not enough windows, too small of windows, or windows always covered look uninviting and can make us, our family and guests feel claustrophobic. Too many windows, incomplete coverings or coverings we have difficulty controlling (opening and closing) can leave us feeling scattered and vulnerable, with less privacy from the outside than we desire.
Depending on the room and space, you might choose from a variety of curtain styles or blinds. Plantation shutters are a classy choice worth consideration.
Here are five plantation shutters benefits:
- Curb appeal. That’s right. Back to that point about what others see from the outside looking in and what you see when you finally get home after a long day at work or maybe a long trip. Plantation shades can be completely opened or closed with the louvres open to let in light and exchange views between the interior and exterior of the home, giving the appearance of a lively home that breathes.
- Control of light. Plantation shutters allow you to determine how much light comes in and where it’s directed. Curtains are basically an all-or-nothing kind of choice. The shutters give so much more control. This can help protect your home and furniture from possible sun damage.
- Energy efficiency. In the winter, plantation shutters may be opened, allowing the warming rays of sunlight to enter, while in the summer, blinds can be adjusted to shade the room, keeping it cooler. Iantha Carley said in an interview with the Washington Times, “plantation shutters made of composite materials can be as energy-efficient as a honeycomb shade because of the materials used in the frame and the shutters.” Honeycomb shades, while energy-efficient, lack the eye-appeal of plantation shades.
- Capital improvement on the home. Interior shutters are a capital improvement for your home, meaning that you build equity when you install them.
- Cleaning. Curtains must be removed from the window for cleaning. Other blinds are a nuisance to clean with small, flimsy surfaces. Plantation blinds have wider, hard surfaces. All you need is a damp cloth and a moment to wipe them down.
What do the eyes to your house tell those on the outside? How does it feel to be the soul inside those eyes? When you’re ready to consider your options for window treatments, contact us. We’d be glad to discuss plantation shutters and other options so you can create the look you desire.